Preparing for the Exam
Candidates must indicate the right curriculum on their application; students must select the 2019 curriculum when completing their application form to the Directory.
Students are encouraged to review the Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018) which outlines the roles and responsibilities of HCAs in Alberta as well as their course materials before attempting the Exam. Post Secondary Institutions and HCA Programs may also provide additional supports to their students.
For specific information on the structure of the Exam, candidates and Post Secondary Institutions and HCA Programs may review the following:
- Appendix B: Health Care Aide Exam Blueprint (2019)
- Appendix C: Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018)
- Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook
An optional Practice Exam is available for all Health Care Aides to prepare for the Provincial Exam. To gain access to the Practice Exam students must enrol on the Directory; information regarding purchasing the practice exam will be made available on the Directory website.
The cost for the practice exam is $40, which provides candidates up to 5 attempts at the same exam. Once payment is received the candidate will be re-directed to the Measure Platform where they will have access to the Practice Exam.
What are the benefits of completing the practice test to prepare for the Provincial HCA Exam?
- To become familiar with the virtual proctoring platform to reduce test and computer anxiety.
- To become familiar with the style of questions on the Provincial HCA Exam.
- To assess knowledge level and competency on the content being tested on the Provincial Exam.
How to access the Practice Exam
Candidates are encouraged to review the following video to better understand the live proctoring process, what to expect, and how to be prepared for exam day.
Resources for taking a Virtual Exam
- Watch this video for a demonstration of a live proctored exam – Live+ Student Walkthrough
- TEST your Equipment with the Virtual ProctorU Equipment Testing
- Test-Taker Resource Centre