Substantial Equivalency: Assessment Requirements
Health care providers who did not graduate from an approved Alberta Health Care Aide (HCA) Program may apply to have their received education and experience assessed through the College of Licensed Practical Nurses (CLPNA) to determine whether it is considered substantially equivalent to the Government of Alberta HCA Provincial Curriculum.
The Substantial Equivalency Assessment is an online assessment process; health care providers and/or Alberta nursing students wishing to be assessed for substantial equivalence must first enrol on the Alberta HCA Directory. For information see Substantial Equivalency Assessment.
Any individual wishing to be assessed for substantial equivalence is subject to the $300.00 CAD plus GST non-refundable assessment fee.
NOTE* The Practice Exam is for Alberta HCA graduates only, in preparation for the Provincial Exam. The Practice Exam is NOT part of the Substantial Equivalence Assessment, enrolment and payment of the Practice Exam are NOT required.
How to Apply
The substantial equivalence process requires each of the following:
- Enrolment on the Alberta HCA Directory
- A credit or debit payment of the assessment fee: $300.00 CAD plus GST
- Upload a copy of the successful completion of English Language Proficiency in alignment with Alberta HCA Program requirements directly to your application
- A copy of the curriculum (including basic course information or content) from the program that the health care provider graduated from which must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the CLPNA by the institution. All curriculum must be submitted directly by the institution to the Directory, or they will not be considered.
- If the complete curriculum is not available, a detailed course syllabus and/or curriculum objectives supplied by the educational institution will be utilized (please see the example of basic course description or content).
- A copy of the applicant’s official transcripts from the program that the applicant graduated from which can be submitted to email@example.com. All transcripts must be submitted directly by the institution to the Directory, or they will not be considered.
To be assessed for Substantial Equivalence the Directory must receive a copy of your post-secondary institution’s curriculum and transcripts. All curriculums and transcripts must be sent directly by the institution to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the CLPNA by the institution.