Substantial Equivalence Assessment
A Substantial Equivalence Assessment (SEA) is a standardized, rigorous, and transparent evaluation of the education of health care providers who did not graduate from an approved Alberta Health Care Aide (HCA) Program.
Eligible applicants include:
- Graduates of a health care program outside of the province of Alberta.
- Internationally Educated Nurses; and
- Individuals with education as a personal support worker, continuing care assistant, nurse or other profession considered to provide direct patient care.
To receive the Substantial Equivalence status on the Directory, health care providers may apply to the Alberta HCA Directory to have their previous health care education assessed to the Government of Alberta 2019 HCA Provincial Curriculum through the College of Licensed Practical Nurses (CLPNA). The received curriculum must meet a minimum equivalency of 75% to the Government of Alberta 2019 HCA Provincial Curriculum to be considered substantially equivalent.
An applicant that does not meet the English Language Proficiency requirements and/or with a curriculum that does not satisfy the minimum equivalency will be referred to an approved Alberta Health Care Aide (HCA) Program.
See Fee Schedule for related fees.
- Applicants are encouraged to review the assessment requirements webpage for information on the Substantial Equivalence Assessment requirements.
- Alberta Nursing students wishing to receive the Substantial Equivalence Assessment must review the requirements outlined on the Alberta Nursing student’s webpage.
The substantial equivalence assessment has an anticipated timeline of assessment of 12 weeks once the curriculum and all relevant documentation has been received. For more information, please review the Substantial Equivalence Assessment policies.
For more information on employability while undergoing the Substantial Equivalence Assessment, please visit SE Assessment Information webpage.
Substantial Equivalence Assessment Toolbox
- Alberta HCA Substantial Equivalence Assessment Policies
- Info Sheet: Substantial Equivalence Assessment for Alberta Nursing Students
- Info Sheet: Substantial Equivalence Assessment for Out of Province/Internationally Educated Applicants
- How to Enrol in the Directory PDF
- Assessment Requirements
- Substantial Equivalence Assessment Form