Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19 Info

Here are some common questions that you may have about the Alberta Health Care Aide Directory.

1. Are HCAs required to enrol in the Directory? 

Alberta Health has mandated that all Health Care Aides (HCAs) working for a publicly funded employer must ensure continued enrolment in the Alberta HCA Directory. If a HCA works for a privately funded employer, they are able to enrol in the Directory and are encouraged to do so.

1.1 How does a Health Care Aide enrol in the Directory? 

Health Care Aides may review these resources in completing their application to the Directory:

How to Enrol in the HCA Directory

Guide to the Alberta HCA Directory

Alberta HCA Directory Enrolment PowerPoint tutorial

2. Why is it mandatory for HCAs to enrol in the Directory?

Having all HCAs working for publicly funded employers enrol in the Directory will provide Alberta Health and its partners with good workforce data, which will support the development of health human resource plans. More importantly, it will provide public assurance that Alberta’s HCAs are competent.

3. Why does the HCA need to apply to the Alberta HCA Directory when they have provided information to their employer?

The Alberta HCA Directory is a separate entity from a HCA employer and the Directory’s focus is only about Health Care Aides. Alberta Health Services, Covenant Health, Covenant Care, and other employers of HCAs have separate computer systems that are not necessarily connected with each other and are not collecting information for the same reasons as the Alberta HCA Directory. The focus of the Directory is to collect each HCAs information, including demographics and workplace information, from all HCAs in Alberta that work in both public and private care. Therefore, when the Directory requests Health Care Aides to apply, they are completing their own application online and verifying their identity to a separate entity, which provides validity to the application process.

4. Why do HCAs need to provide ID when applying?

It is a requirement for the HCA application process for Health Care Aides need to provide two pieces of current and valid Government-issued identification when applying to the Alberta HCA Directory; one must be photo ID in order to validate legal name, date of birth and address.

An exception will be made if an HCA can only provide one valid piece of Government-issued photo identification. In addition to their one valid photo ID, one expired Government-issued ID will be accepted however, it must be accompanied by either an employee ID or a notarized document confirming identity.

5.  How is HCA identification protected on the Directory?

Health Care Aide information is protected during transmission and when stored in the database by encryption. There is no file or printed image that can be copied. The Directory does not accept faxed or mailed photocopies of ID(s). The information which makes up the ID is sent and stored as a series of fragments that are reassembled for viewing only when administrators complete the confirmation process. Additionally, the Alberta HCA Directory has a very robust privacy policy and has security in place to protect any and all information that is being provided.

6. How does an institution send official transcripts to the Directory?

Official transcripts may be mailed or emailed to the Directory. HCAs are required to complete and submit an HCA Transcript Request form to their institution providing consent to release their official transcripts to the Directory.

Practical Nursing students (PN) and Bachelor of Nursing (BN) students are required to complete and submit a PN/BN Transcript Request form to their institution providing consent to release their transcripts confirming their successful completion of the required year(s) of equivalent education.

7. Can educators enrol HCA students once they graduate?

Health Care Aides must enrol themselves in the Directory once they have been accepted in an Alberta approved HCA educational institution. Once the HCA successfully completes the program, it will be necessary to provide proof of course completion directly from the post-secondary institution to the Alberta HCA Directory.

8. What status will students enroled in an approved HCA program be given while their status is being confirmed?

An HCA’s status will remain Certified-In-Progress until their official transcripts are received and confirmed by the Directory.

Download HCA Transcript Request Form here.

9.  What does “In Progress” mean for a HCA that has applied to the directory?

A Health Care Aide with an “In-progress” status is required to re-visit their application to review the reason for “in-progress” status.

It is the HCAs responsibility to follow-up with their application on the Directory, to provide the required transcripts or speak with their employer to ensure verification on the Directory.

Effective July 1, 2020, the Alberta HCA Directory will no longer accept employer verification.

10. When is a HCA considered fully enroled?

Once an HCA has successfully submitted an application and has had their education verified by the supervisor or the CLPNA Substantial Equivalence assessment. Once approved the HCA will receive a confirmation email from the Directory.

11. Why is there an expiry date on approved HCAs on the Directory?

All approved HCAs on the Directory have an expiry date of June 30, 2020; this is to facilitate a mandatory annual renewal of HCAs on the Directory, which will begin on April 1st and close  June 30, 2020. Any HCA that does not renew on the Directory by June 30, 2020, will be made Inactive on July 1, 2020.

After June 30, 2020, new expiry date of June 30, 2021, will be applied to all renewed applications.

12. Why is there a renewal process?

HCAs are required to annually validate they want to continue to be on the Alberta HCA Directory as a HCA. There is no fee for renewal. HCAs renew by reviewing and updating their personal information, including their name, address and email. They are required to review and update their current employment information and provide any new employer(s). Renewal also provides the HCAs with the opportunity to add new education information. HCA identification documents and employer verification are not required during renewal. Renewal will start April 1, 2020, and close June 30, 2020.

13. Is it possible to advertise on the Directory?

The Directory will post educational and employment information relevant for HCAs on the website. Contact the Directory at

14. Enrolment of HCAs from other Provinces and Countries

On May 19, 2020, the Ministry of Health in collaboration with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) launched a new substantial equivalence assessment process for health care providers who fit under this category:

  • Graduates of a health care program outside of the province of Alberta;
  • Internationally Educated Nurses; and
  • Individuals with education as a health care aide, personal support worker, continuing care assistant, nurse or other profession considered to provide direct patient care.

Health care providers who fit under this category may apply to the Alberta HCA Directory to have their received education and experience assessed through the CLPNA to determine whether it is considered substantially equivalent to the Government of Alberta HCA Provincial Curriculum.

The  Substantial Equivalency Assessment is a standardized, rigorous and transparent evaluation of the education and experience of health care providers who did not graduate from an approved Alberta Health Care Aide (HCA) Program.

For more information, visit the Substantial Equivalence Assessment website.

15. Can an unemployed, Alberta trained HCA apply to the Directory?

A HCA that graduated from a recognized institution in Alberta and living in Alberta can enrol on the Directory. Unemployed HCAs will be required to provide an official transcript to the Directory as proof of successful completion to be recognized as part of the HCA service provider group.

16. Is there a fee to enrol in the Directory?

There is no fee to enrol in the Directory.

17. I forgot my password. How do I request a new password?

To request a password reset email, please click on “Forgot your password?” located directly below the login box. The HCA will be asked to provide the email address that they want the new password reset email to be sent to as well as to input the code located to the right, directly above the “submit.” Once this request has been made, please check all folders as a password reset email may be sent to your junk folder.

18. Does the Alberta HCA Directory act as a regulatory body for HCAs?

The Alberta HCA Directory is not a regulatory body under the Health Professions Act. It is a database containing information about HCAs. HCAs remain unregulated care providers who must be supervised by a regulated professional.


HCA Toolbox and Video Assistance



Alberta HCA Directory Enrolment Guide and Checklist






Download Alberta HCA Directory PowerPoint Tutorial