The following are the core competencies as outlined in the Continuing Care Health Service Standards, 2018:
The Directory will no longer accept employer verification for Certified and Substantially Equivalent Health Care Aides.
HCA education obtained through a Government of Alberta licensed post-secondary institution (using the provincial HCA curriculum):
- HCAs will need to provide official transcripts to the HCA Directory, therefore ensuring that HCAs enrolled on the directory have the required education
- True certified official transcripts may be mailed or emailed to the Directory. HCAs are required to complete and submit an HCA Transcript Request form to their institution providing consent to release their official transcripts to the Directory.
- Verification of Competencies can take some time to complete, and during the process of verification, the HCA’s status in the Directory will be labelled as Certified – In Progress
The Directory will not accept transcripts or certificates not sent by the institution; only transcripts or certificates sent directly to the Directory by email or mail by the institution will be accepted.
- Health Care Providers or Nursing students wishing to receive the Substantial Equivalence status on the Directory will be required to complete the new Substantial Equivalency assessment.
- For more information on the Substantial Equivalence Assessment process, visit: Substantial Equivalence Assessment Website
HCAs who are deemed competent by an Alberta regulated nurse employed by an HCA operator using the CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile Tool).
- Evidence is required through employer verification
- Verification of Competencies can take some time to complete, and during the process of verification, the HCA’s status in the Directory will be labelled as Deemed Competent – In Progress
- Retention of CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile) Tools are the responsibility of each organization and are not submitted to the Directory.
- An additional resource that outlines core competencies is the Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018).