Certified (2013 Curriculum) applicants
Health Care Aide (HCA) education obtained through a Government of Alberta licensed post-secondary institution (using the provincial HCA 2013 curriculum).
- 2013 curriculum HCA students must complete and submit an HCA Transcript Request form to their institution (school) providing consent to release their true certified official transcripts to the Directory.
- Transcripts must be emailed or mailed to the Directory; review our contact page here.
- Transcripts submitted by applicants will not be accepted. All official transcripts must be sent directly to the Directory by the institution.
- Students using MyCreds may send MyCreds link to the Directory at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certified (2019 Curriculum) applicants
Health Care Aide (HCA) education obtained through a Government of Alberta licensed post-secondary institution (using the provincial HCA 2019 curriculum).
HCA students currently enrolled in the provincial HCA 2019 curriculum are required to pass the Provincial HCA Examination to graduate from the HCA Program and receive the Government of Alberta 2019 HCA Provincial Curriculum Certificate.
- 2019 Curriculum HCA students are not required to provide the Directory with transcripts to be granted access to the Provincial HCA Exam.
- Access to the Provincial HCA Exam is granted to students after the post-secondary institution has notified the Directory of the students’ eligibility to write the examination.
Post-secondary institutions are required to:
- Contact the Directory at email@example.com to request an orientation for the Provincial HCA Exam process.
- Request the PSI Candidate Spreadsheet from the Directory at firstname.lastname@example.org for student access to the Provincial HCA Exam.
Substantially Equivalent applicants
- Applicants applying for the substantial equivalence status on the Directory must review the Substantial Equivalence Assessment webpage.
Deemed Competent applicants
New* To confirm the completion of a CAPs on an employee on the Directory for the Deemed Competent status, employers are required to complete and submit the following confirmation form Competency Assessment Profile Confirmation form to email@example.com.
Applicants who are deemed competent by an Alberta regulated nurse employed by an HCA operator using the CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile Tool) – 2019.
- Employer verification is required on the Director for Deemed Competent applicants.
- During the process of verification, the HCAs status in the Directory will be Deemed Competent – In Progress.
- Retention of CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile) Tools are the responsibility of each organization and are not submitted to the Directory. An additional resource that outlines core competencies is the Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018).
The following are the core competencies as outlined in the Continuing Care Health Service Standards, 2018: