The Alberta Health Care Aide Directory:
- Serves as a central resource for Alberta HCAs to get information, news and updates
- Confirms that HCAs working in Alberta have successfully attained the core competencies necessary to provide safe, proficient care for patients and clients
- Educates employers, educators, stakeholders and Albertans about HCAs’ role in healthcare
- Acts as a database to collect information on HCA employment necessary for workforce planning
- Aligns with the Government of Alberta’s commitment to having a competent and valued Health Care Aide workforce that provides care to Albertans
Alberta Health has mandated that all Health Care Aides (HCAs) working for a publicly funded employer ensure continued enrolment in the Alberta HCA Directory. It is a condition of employment to have all HCAs ensured continued enrolment in the Alberta Health Care Aide Directory
Verification of HCA Core Competencies
The Directory will no longer accept employer verification for Certified and Substantially Equivalent Health Care Aides.
- Certified HCAs wishing to enrol in the Directory must provide their official transcript directly to the Alberta HCA Directory. HCAs will be required to provide transcripts to the Directory
- True certified official transcripts may be mailed or emailed to the Directory. HCAs are required to complete and submit an HCA Transcript Request form to their institution providing consent to release their official transcripts to the Directory
- Health Care Providers or Nursing students wishing to receive the Substantial Equivalence status on the Directory will be required to complete the new Substantial Equivalence Assessment.
- For more information on the Substantial Equivalence Assessment process, visit: Substantial Equivalence Assessment Website
Deemed Competent HCAs
- HCAs who are deemed competent by an Alberta regulated nurse employed by an HCA operator using the CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile Tool).
- Evidence is required through employer verification
- Verification of Competencies can take some time to complete, and during the process of verification, the HCA’s status in the Directory will be labelled as Deemed Competent – In Progress
- Retention of CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile) Tools are the responsibility of each organization and are not submitted to the Directory
How to verify Deemed Competent HCAs
- To request supervisor or employer access to the Directory, email the Directory at firstname.lastname@example.org with their request and organization signature. The signature is used to create the account, to allow permissions and access to the correct facility or site(s).
- For more information on how to verify HCAs, search HCAs and request a supervisor account, review the following: Supervisor and Manager Verification Guidelines
- The employer will log in to the Directory portal to verify HCA education information, competency status and employment information. To request supervisor or employer access on the Directory email the Directory
The goal is to have HCAs competency status transferable from employer to employer, although employers retain the right and responsibility to ensure employees are competent.
External Links & References
- Recognized HCA Programs Approved Schools List
- Competency Assessment Profile (CAP) Tool
- Continuing Care Health Service Standards, 2018.
Employer Resources &Toolkits and Video Assistance
- Supervisor and Manager Verification Guidelines
- Alberta HCA Directory Login
- How to Enrol in the Directory PDF
- Alberta HCA Directory Enrolment Guide and Checklist
- Alberta HCA Directory Frequently Asked Questions
- Guide to the Alberta HCA Directory
- Alberta HCA Directory Enrolment PowerPoint Tutorial
- Download HCA Transcript Request form