The Alberta Health Care Aide Directory:
- Serves as a central resource for Alberta HCAs to get information, news and updates
- Confirms that HCAs working in Alberta have successfully attained the core competencies necessary to provide safe, proficient care for patients and clients
- Educates employers, educators, stakeholders and Albertans about HCAs’ role in healthcare
- Acts as a database to collect information on HCA employment necessary for workforce planning
- Aligns with the Government of Alberta’s commitment to having a competent and valued Health Care Aide workforce that provides care to Albertans
Alberta Health has mandated that all Health Care Aides (HCAs) working for a publicly funded employer ensure continued enrolment in the Alberta HCA Directory. It is a condition of employment to have all HCAs ensured continued enrolment in the Alberta Health Care Aide Directory
Verification of HCA Core Competencies
The Directory will no longer accept employer verification for Certified and Substantially Equivalent Health Care Aides.
- Certified HCAs wishing to enrol in the Directory must provide their official transcript directly to the Alberta HCA Directory. HCAs will be required to provide transcripts to the Directory
- True certified official transcripts may be mailed or emailed to the Directory. HCAs are required to complete and submit an HCA Transcript Request form to their institution providing consent to release their official transcripts to the Directory
- Health Care Providers or Nursing students wishing to receive the Substantial Equivalence status on the Directory will be required to complete the new Substantial Equivalence Assessment.
- For more information on the Substantial Equivalence Assessment process, visit: Substantial Equivalence Assessment
- HCAs who are deemed competent by an Alberta regulated nurse employed by an HCA operator using the CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile Tool).
- Evidence is required through employer verification
- Verification of Competencies can take some time to complete, and during the process of verification, the HCA’s status in the Directory will be labelled as Deemed Competent – In Progress
- Retention of CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile) Tools are the responsibility of each organization and are not submitted to the Directory
How to verify Deemed Competent HCAs
- To request supervisor or employer access to the Directory, email the Directory at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on how to verify HCAs, search HCAs, and request a supervisor account, see: Employer Access to the Directory.