Access to the Provincial Exam
The Exam is a computer-based, proctored Exam, accessible online, with 24/7 access (excluding statutory holidays) only available dates and times will be available to the candidate when booking. The proctor supervises the student for the duration of the exam using a virtual platform.
Candidates are responsible to meet all testing requirements as outlined in the handbook and listed in the resource links below. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Online virtual proctoring- Equipment Requirements
- Access to a laptop or computer with a webcam and microphone;
- A reliable internet connection; and
- The ProctorU extension must be downloaded to take the Exam; (Candidates can only download this extension on Exam day.)
- For more specific examples, see section 2 (Exam details) and section 6 (Day of the Exam) in the candidate handbook.
Refer to* Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook for detailed information about the exam and all requirements.
To access the ProctorU Provincial Exam, Candidates must enrol on the Alberta HCA Directory. Post-secondary institutions are required to provide students with access and time during regularly scheduled classes to complete this step.
Candidates will receive an email from the Directory with instructions on how to pay for the Exam and book the Exam within their Directory profile. At the time of payment, Candidates must book their Exam date and time. Exams can be booked within 24 hours and can be written at any time with no accommodation request. If accommodations are required, it is necessary for Candidates to apply and receive confirmation of accommodation prior to paying and booking the desired Exam date.
Resources for taking a Virtual Exam
- Watch this video for a demonstration of a live proctored exam – Live+ Student Walkthrough
- Equipment Testing Requirements
- Test-Taker Resource Centre
- TEST your Equipment with the Virtual ProctorU Equipment Testing
For Additional Resources, visit Exam Reference Documents
How to book the Provincial Exam
Online Proctored Exam Contact
ProctorU – Assessment Support
Phone: 1-855-772-8678, Option 1
Submit Online Ticket: https://www.proctoru.com/contact-us
Click on “Having Trouble with an Exam” and then “I am a test-taker”.
You will see options at the bottom of the screen.
Live Chat: here
Hours of Operation: 24/7
If you are calling on exam day, we recommend you call or use the live chat for faster response time.
Yardstick Support Contact Information
Phone: 1-888-900-0005, Option 1
Text Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 7:00pm Eastern