Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Exam
What is the Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Exam?
The Government of Alberta Provincial Exam (Exam) provides a standardized assessment to determine Health Care Aide (HCA) students’ success in meeting the entry to practice HCA Program competencies as outlined in the Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018). All HCA students must successfully complete all course work and practicum pass the Examination to graduate from the HCA Program and receive the Government of Alberta 2019 HCA Provincial Curriculum Certificate.
Candidates must read the candidate handbook* Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook prior to writing the Provincial HCA Examination.
About the Exam
- Candidates have a maximum of 60-calendar days from the date of program completion to successfully complete the exam (all 3 attempts).
- The Exam is computer-based, accessible online, with 24/7 access (excluding statutory holidays).
- The Exam is live-proctored.
- The Exam is 2 hours in length and a fee schedule outlining the Exam fees may be found here.
The Alberta Provincial HCA Exam requires each of the following:
- Enrolment on the Alberta HCA Directory;
- A credit or debit payment of the Exam fee;
- Confirmation from the PSI that candidates (students) are eligible to write the Provincial HCA Exam.
- For more information on how to notify the Directory of eligible HCA students, please review the Access to the Provincial HCA Exam webpage.
- Candidates are encouraged to review the Access to the Provincial HCA Exam webpage for more information on the Provincial HCA Exam.
Use this link if you have any examination inquiries or are unable to sit the Provincial HCA Examination due to extenuating circumstances.
Exam Reference Documents
- Online Proctoring Exam FAQ
- Government of Alberta Provincial HCA Exam Policies: Government of Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Examination Policies
- Candidate Handbook: Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook
- Alberta Provincial Exam Process for Students PDF
- Exam Fee Schedule PDF
- Appendix B: Health Care Aide Exam Blueprint (2019)
- Appendix C: Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018)
- How to Enrol in the Directory PDF