Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Exam
What is the Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Exam?
The Government of Alberta Provincial Exam (Exam) provides a standardized assessment to determine Health Care Aide (HCA) students’ success in meeting the entry to practice HCA Program competencies as outlined in the Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018). All HCA students must successfully complete all course work and pass the Examination to graduate from the HCA Program and receive the Government of Alberta 2019 HCA Provincial Curriculum Certificate.
IMPORTANT: Candidates have a maximum of 60 days from date of program completion to successfully complete the exam (all 3 attempts).
The Alberta Provincial HCA Exam requires each of the following:
- Enrolment on the Alberta HCA Directory;
- A credit or debit payment of the appropriate Exam fee;
- Confirmation of successful completion of all required coursework; and
- A signed consent form.
About the Exam
- Computer-based, proctored Exam, accessible online
- 24/7 access (excluding statutory holidays) only available dates and times will be available to the candidate when booking.
- The student is supervised during the exam using a virtual platform.
For more information about accessing the exam visit:
Candidates MUST READ THIS HANDBOOK FIRST* Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook
- A great resource for exam candidates and instructors to assist in preparing for the Exam.
- Contains relevant guidelines, procedures and other supporting information.
Exam Reference Documents
- Online Proctoring Exam FAQ
- The Provincial Exam is governed by the Government of Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Examination Policies (2020)
- Conduct during the exam is also governed by the Government of Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Examination Policies (2020)
- Candidates may review the following for additional information: Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook
- Alberta Provincial Exam Process for Students PDF
- Exam Fee Schedule PDF
- Appendix B: Health Care Aide Exam Blueprint (2019)
- Appendix C: Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018)
- How to Enrol in the Directory PDF