Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Exam
What is the Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Exam?
The Government of Alberta Provincial Exam (Exam) provides a standardized assessment to determine Health Care Aide (HCA) students’ success in meeting the entry to practice HCA Program competencies as outlined in the Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018). All HCA students must successfully complete all course work and pass the Examination to graduate from the HCA Program and receive the Government of Alberta 2019 HCA Provincial Curriculum Certificate.
The Alberta Provincial HCA Exam requires each of the following:
- Enrolment on the Alberta HCA Directory;
- A credit or debit payment of the appropriate Exam fee;
- Confirmation of successful completion of all required coursework; and
- A signed consent form.
About the Exam
The Alberta HCA Examination Candidate Handbook (2020) is a resource for exam candidates and instructors to assist in preparing for the Exam and understanding related processes. This handbook contains relevant guidelines, procedures and other supporting information.
Candidates MUST READ THIS HANDBOOK FIRST* Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook (2020)
The Exam is a computer-based, proctored Exam, accessible online, with 24/7 access (excluding statutory holidays) only available dates and times will be available to the candidate when booking. The proctor supervises the student for the duration of the exam using a virtual platform.
To take the exam, candidates must meet the following computer and internet requirements:
- Access to a laptop or computer with a webcam and microphone;
- A reliable internet connection;
- Google chrome browser; and
- The ProctorU extension must be downloaded to take the Exam; (Candidates can only download this extension on Exam day.)
Exam Reference Documents
- Online Proctoring Exam FAQ
- The Provincial Exam is governed by the Government of Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Examination Policies (2020)
- Conduct during the exam is also governed by the Government of Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Examination Policies (2020)
- Candidates may review the following for additional information: Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook (2020)
- Exam Fee Schedule PDF
- Appendix B: Health Care Aide Exam Blueprint (2019)
- Appendix C: Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018)
- How to Enrol in the Directory PDF