Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Exam
The Government of Alberta Provincial Exam (Exam) provides a standardized assessment to determine Health Care Aide (HCA) students’ success in meeting the entry to practice HCA Program competencies as outlined in the Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018).
Alberta Health Care Aide students must successfully complete all course work, practicum and pass the Provincial HCA Examination to graduate from the HCA Program and receive the Government of Alberta 2019 HCA Provincial Curriculum Certificate.
- Candidates (students) must read the candidate handbook prior to writing their Provincial HCA Examination.
- The handbook provides students and programs with detailed information about the exam, all requirements, and acceptable actions and behaviours appropriate for an online virtually proctored examination.
Provincial Exam Access Requirements
- Enrolment on the Alberta HCA Directory;
- Pay the Provincial Exam fee;
- Written confirmation from the PSI that candidates (students) are eligible to write the Provincial HCA Exam.
- Post-Secondary Institutions: for more information on how to notify the Directory of eligible HCA students, please review the Access to the Provincial HCA Exam webpage.
- The Exam is computer-based, accessible online, with 24/7 access (excluding statutory holidays).
- The exam booking system utilizes a 24-hour clock.
- The Exam is live-proctored.
- The Exam is 2 hours in length and a fee schedule outlining the Exam fees may be found here.
- Candidates have a maximum of three Examination attempts within a 60-calendar day period.
If you have questions about Provincial Exam registration, eligibility, and other general topics:
Exam Reference Documents
- Online Proctoring Exam FAQ
- Government of Alberta Provincial HCA Exam Policies: Government of Alberta Provincial Health Care Aide Examination Policies
- Candidate Handbook: Alberta Health Care Aide Examination Candidate Handbook
- Alberta Provincial Exam Process for Students PDF
- Exam Fee Schedule PDF
- Appendix B: Health Care Aide Exam Blueprint (2019)
- Appendix C: Alberta HCA Competency Profile (2018)
- How to Enrol in the Directory PDF