Alberta Nursing Students Requirements
Alberta nursing students that are seeking employment in Alberta as HCAs must:
- Enrol on the Alberta HCA Directory.
- Email a copy of their unofficial transcripts directly to email@example.com.
- Please indicate in the email subject line the program name (i.e. Bachelor of Nursing, Practical Nursing).
Alberta Nursing Student requirements:
- It is the responsibility of the nursing student to ensure that their unofficial transcripts reflect the educational requirements outlined in the Alberta HCA Substantial Equivalence Assessment Policies.
- The status for these nursing students will be “Sub. Eq – In Progress.”
- Employers will be able to verify through the employer portal the nursing students’ enrollment on the Directory when the student nurse completes their application and submits a copy of their transcript.
- Nursing students will only receive approval as Substantially Equivalent once unofficial transcripts have been received to firstname.lastname@example.org and verified for approval.
- For the duration of this provision, Alberta nursing students will not be required to pay the Substantial Equivalence Assessment fee.
Extension to Interim SE Policies
- Alberta Nursing students applying for the Substantial Equivalent status on the Directory are not required to complete the formal substantial equivalent assessment and pay the assessment fee.
- This policy will be in place until June 30, 2022.
As of July 1, 2022, individuals educated outside Alberta and Alberta Nursing students who are seeking work as HCAs in Alberta will be required to successfully complete the substantial equivalent assessment process. For more information, visit: SE Assessment Information webpage.