Access to the Bridging Modules
In 2019, the Government of Alberta launched a new Health Care Aide (HCA) Curriculum (2019) based on the HCA Competency Profile (2018). The HCA Curriculum (2019) added new content that previous programs did not include. Alberta Health developed the Alberta HCA Bridging Modules (Bridging Modules) to address the new content or knowledge gaps.
For more information, visit: Bridging Modules
Who is required to take the Bridging Modules?
Alberta Health has mandated that HCAs currently on the Directory who completed the Alberta HCA Curriculum (2013), or previous versions, must update their education before their renewal on the Directory by June 30, 2022.
Where can I take the Bridging Modules?
The modules are all online. Certified HCAs who are currently on the Directory can gain access to the Bridging Modules through the Alberta HCA Directory portal.
Is there a cost?
These Bridging Modules free and are available for HCAs until June 30, 2022.
How to access the Bridging Modules
- Log in to your Directory portal
- Click on “Bridging Modules” on the left side menu
- From this page, under Available Bridging Modules, click on the link: “Click here to take the online bridging modules @ Moodle”
- This will take you to Moodle where you will have access to the modules
- Start with “Introduction Module: Review this first” Once this is completed, you may continue to the Bridging Modules in any order
- Moodle will save your progress if you need to exit and continue later
How to download Moodle Certificate
A final Moodle certificate confirming the completion of all 4 Bridging Modules will be available to all HCAs through the Directory portal.
- Log in to the Directory portal
- Click on “My Documents”’
- Click on “Moodle Certificate”
Are the modules required to be completed in order?
HCAs can start the Bridging modules in any order. It is recommended that HCAs start with the “Introduction Module: Review this first” so that they can get an understanding on how the modules work. Bridging Modules can be completed in one sitting or over several sessions.
All four (4) Bridging Modules must be successfully completed in order to receive the Certificate of Completion, as confirmation that they have met the requirements of the HCA Curriculum (2019).