Access to the Bridging Modules
In 2019, the Government of Alberta launched a new Health Care Aide (HCA) Curriculum (2019) based on the HCA Competency Profile (2018). The HCA Curriculum (2019) added new content that previous programs did not include. Alberta Health developed the Alberta HCA Bridging Modules (Bridging Modules) to address the new content or knowledge gaps. Please review the Bridging Modules webpage for more information.
Who is required to complete the Bridging Modules?
- Only approved and active HCAs have access to the Bridging Modules.
- HCAs who successfully complete the Substantial Equivalence Assessment are not required to complete the Bridging Modules.
- HCAs who are assessed using the CAPs (Competency Assessment Profile Tool) – 2019 are not required to complete the Bridging Modules.
- Health Care Aides (HCAs) who obtained their education through a Government of Alberta licensed post-secondary institution (using the provincial HCA 2019 curriculum) are not required to complete the Bridging Modules.
- HCAs who have successfully completed all four (4) Bridging Modules will no longer have access to the Modules.
Is there a cost?
These Bridging Modules free and are available for HCAs until June 30, 2022.
How to access the Bridging Modules
The Bridging Modules are ONLY available online through the Alberta HCA Directory.
- Log in to your Directory portal
- Click on “Bridging Modules” on the left side menu
- From this page, under Available Bridging Modules, click on the link: “Click here to take the online bridging modules @ Moodle.” This will take you to Moodle where you will have access to the modules.
It is recommended that HCAs start with the “Introduction Module: Review this first” so that they can get an understanding of how the modules work. Bridging Modules can be completed in one sitting or over several sessions.
All four (4) Bridging Modules must be successfully completed in order to receive the Certificate of Completion, as confirmation that they have met the requirements of the HCA Curriculum (2019).
How to download Moodle Certificate
A final Moodle certificate confirming the completion of all 4 Bridging Modules will be available to all HCAs through the Directory portal.
- Log in to the Directory portal
- Click on “My Documents”
- Click on “Moodle Certificate”