Who Can Enrol?
A Health Care Aide who is:
- Working and employed in a healthcare setting, and working as a HCA. (Note: some workers are called nursing attendant, nursing assistant, nurses’ aide, ward aide, personal support worker, etc.)
- A student currently enroled in a Government of Alberta licensed post-secondary institution offering HCA training.
- A graduate of a Government of Alberta licensed post-secondary institution living in Alberta.
- An individual with out-of-province or international education is able to enrol on the directory, as long as their education and competence is verified by an Alberta employer or through the substantial equivalence process.
Who are HCAs and what role do they have within the healthcare team?
HCAs provide the majority of direct care within the continuing care sector and are active contributors to other parts of the healthcare system. HCAs contribute in many ways to patient care including:
- Delivery of basic health services
- Acute and Continuing Care (home care, supportive living, long term care)
- Assistance and support with activities of daily living for clients with medical conditions or functional limitations
To view the skills, knowledge, behaviours and attitudes required by Health Care Aides in Alberta, see the Alberta Health Care Aide Competency Profile (2018).